Tuesday, August 10, 2010

woe of a poor autopassenger in new delhi

Dear diary
Disguised under the cover of ‘dilli dilwalon ka” hides the real rough,haughty,rude and selfish dilliwallas- atleast with the experience I had, and I am sure many of us had if not everyday then someday or the other.
As soon as I got down at the railway station in Paharganj I was surrounded and greeted from different sides by eager autowallas. I was impressed, but as soon as I told them where I wanted to go they gave me such a blank look and drove away and made me wonder if “vikaspuri’ is in mars.
After several encounters like this I asked them why are they even asking me where I wanted to go if they actually did not want to drop me. This time they gave me such “how dare you” looks that I almost fled.
Finally, I came out to the road dragging my luggage hoping some ‘kind’ autowallah will take pity on me. One did, after a lot of begging and requesting but charged me an astronomical amount. Did I have any choice but to comply?
The traffic is terrible and the scorching heat becomes more unbearable with the mood swings of the other drivers on the road each swearing and abusing each other and not to mention the occasional cows and buffaloes showing up in the middle of the road.
This is not expected from a metro city and that too the capital city of India. Where are the polite, friendly, eager and honest autodrivers? And I heard that the auto drivers were attending classes on etiquettes, fair charging and so on to prepare for the visitors arriving for the Commonwealth games. I hope they are impressed.

Arzu Baruah

No comments:

Post a Comment